Saturday, January 8, 2011

Map of Tazzies everywhere!

Aussie slang defined:
  • Muck around = screw around.
  • Baaaarrrrnt = a weird expression that 15-year-olds in Sydney say when calling someone out on something embarrassing.
  • Lad & lass = drug doing/sex having delinquent punk.
I've been in Aussie land for 10 days. While it's not a really long time, I'd like to say that I'm pretty acclimated to my surroundings. However, there are still a few ridiculous ass things that I still can't get over:
  1. When people tell Katie and I that our accents are "beautiful. First of all, what? Second of all, I get the idea that just because our accent is "different" that it could be considered intriguing, but beautiful? Most American accents make people sound like they're stricken with some sort of nasal congestion problem. Either that or they have suffered some kind of brain trauma that has altered their ability to pronounce syllables and formulate proper sentences. Now, it might just be me... but it's not.
  2. The cropped top/angleduptheass high-waisted jorts combination. Straight out of 1980. Everyone is wearing pieces of tank tops, or "singlets" as they would say,  that hang slightly above the bellybutton, paired with the shortest, highest jorts ever made. I marvel at how girls' bajingas/map of Tazzies don't say hello to every passer-by. A modest example of my cousin and her friends is shown. I'll get her to model what her favorite outfit is soon. I like to keep my readers on the edge of their seats that way. 
  3. And lastly, the game of Cricket. What the hell is going on and why does your bat have angles on it. 
Overall, my time here has set the bar REALLY high for the rest of my trip. Though, I could do without the sunburns, expensive drinks and the Vegemite.